Online Decision Making Program
Please note this program is fully subscribed (see below to register your interest for the next offering)
About the program
This program is available to judicial officers and tribunal members and has a limit of 16 participants to ensure a highly interactive and engaging online learning experience.
The aim of this program is for participants to improve their:
- decision-making techniques, and to develop an insight about their own psychology and how that may impact on decision-making;
- ability to distinguish the key elements of a judicial decision that is legally accurate, just and likely to be acceptable to the parties;
- ability to recognise potential pitfalls in the decision-making process.
- How the brain makes up its mind
- The human side of legal decision making
- Whom do I believe? Techniques for better fact finding
- Lay Witnesses & Expert Witnesses
- Writing good reasons
Participants can access the program via desktop computer, laptop, iPad or mobile phone and will be able to work at their own pace. Realistically the program will require approximately 1-2 hours per week for the 6 weeks duration.
Expert online facilitators (judicial and tribunal members) will be addressing participants’ contributions, comments and questions throughout the program.
An easy to follow guide about online learning will be sent to participants prior to program commencement. An orientation teleconference will be conducted as part of the first session, this will enable participants to feel comfortable navigating the online program. Technical support will also be available to participants if required.
- Magistrate Hugh Dillon – Deputy State Coroner, Coroners’ Court NSW
- Judge Fleur Kingham, District Court QLD
- Magistrate Nancy Hennessy, Administrative and Equal Opportunity Division of the NSW Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Magistrate Martin Flynn, Magistrates’ Court WA
- Ms Anina Johnson, Deputy President, Mental Health Review Tribunal
- Jenny Green, Academic Director NJCA
- Dr Anne Bartlett Bragg, Director Ripple Effect
- Julie van den Engel – Program Manager
For further information contact NJCA
To register your interest for the next offering of this program, please complete the form below.
Expressions of Interest receive priority for future programs.